June 6, 2009

My Dad

Yesterday mom had an appointment at the hospital for a CAT scan to make sure the cancer hasn't returned. While she was away I got to spend time with my dad. Due to poor health he often has bad days, but yesterday was a good day for him. He was like his old self. We laughed and talked and napped.
What a great dad he has always been. He always worked so hard at everything he did. He was blessed to work for the church with the FM group, overseeing the physical facilities in an area. He really loved his job. He loves the church and has a strong testimony that he has shared with his his family through his words and actions. When I moved back to Indiana I was known as Ron and Peggy's daughter. Everywhere I go someone knows my dad and has fond memories to share. I truly believe he home taught every widow in the stake at some point. What I have always admired the most was his love for my mom. He is always so good to her and she to him. They truly love to be together and care more about the other person than themselves.
It has not been easy watching his plans for the future change. He always dreamed of retiring, buying an RV and traveling the US. He would always tell us kids that we had to live in different states so he would have a free place to stay wherever he went. Holly was the only one who took that advice. But, despite the changes he keeps his sense of humor, his love for his family, and for the the gospel. What a blessing to have such a wonderful father.

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

The Bodily Family said...

I love our Dad! He's the Best!!

the skeans family blog said...

Did you write that without crying??? Brave girl. What a good daughter you are....