June 11, 2009

Be Still

Today is My Ashley's 18th birthday and I have lots and lots to say about that and the wonderful person she's become, but today I've become quite concerned about my lack of ability to Be Still. Ever since I started teaching full time life has become more complicated. And although I work very hard to be home when the kids are home and to keep my priorities straight, I have become what I hate the most--a very, very busy person. I have always felt that there is a fine line between being "anxiously engaged" and just busy. Scott and I have tried to follow church leader's counsel to choose activities wisely and not to overschedule our children. We've been really good about that but somehow Scott and I have forgotten to apply the same counsel to ourselves. Between family, extended family, work, and church there is precious little time left for ourselves. Once or twice a year we take a few days just the two of us, but I'm beginning to realize that that's not enough. School has been done for 8 days now and I still haven't been able to Be Still. It's been go, go, go and I keep saying "When I get this taken care of, THEN I can relax". Today I was determined to stay in my jammies all day and just veg on the couch. Then I thought about the camp t-shirts I needed to make, the camp emails and camp packing I needed to do. The camp shopping, the grocery shopping, and the birthday dinner that needed to be planned. So I was out the door and running. It's 10:00 and my brain is still running with all the stuff that needs to get done. So, I think some reevaluation is in order. I need to prioritize, delegate, and just say no. Maybe when camp is done I can do that. Did I mention I'm contemplating grad courses this summer?

0 comments: