
Fort Wayne residents walking to find food
Downtown Fort Wayne being cleared of snow. There was so much snow in South Bend they started hauling it to the river to be dumped.Maybe it's something that was mentioned on the news, or the 6 inches of snow scraped off my car, but I've been reminiscing about the great blizzard of '78. I was there and have great memories. At the time our family lived in South Bend, IN. 36 inches of snow were dumped unexpectedly. Snow drifted to 10 feet high. I was 11 at the time. I remember missing about two weeks of school and making lots of snowmen and snow angels. Walking down to the corner store for bread and milk was quite the adventure since snow was about waist high. I remember being freaked out by a friendly stranger who offered to give me a ride home.
Well, we don't have nearly that much snow right now but the day's events remind me of that magical time. Do you think they have authentic "I survived the Blizzard of '78" t-shirts on E-bay? I've always wanted one.





3 comments:
I remember that so well. I was pregnant with Ben and scared to death I would go into labor. Thankfully I dind't. But it did happen 4 years later with Natalie and a blizzerd of the same magnitude. During the blizzard of '78 Ross was stuck out at work for 3 days. They took food to them on snowmobiles. I felt terrible for him because he worked outside at the time and it was as cold then as it is now. Hopefully this will pass in the next few days and we will get back to normal.
That snow looks awesome! I was in Jrsey then my Ohio friends remind me of what I missed.
I have a dim recollection of the blizzard. I remember having snow drifts up past the windows. I just have to say that I don't miss the snow. It gets chilly here and we can see the snow on the mountain tops but I don't have to shovel, warm up the car, worry about the battery freezing or icy roads. I love Arizona!
Post a Comment