April 25, 2009

Layoff--Pros and Cons

About a month ago I was told that all Resource teachers and those paid for with Title 1 funds would be surplussed. This meant we would have a job but we would have to reapply for openings. We were just relieved that we weren't on the list of 50 teachers that would be laid off. Then two days ago I heard rumors that they were going to have to lay off another 80 teachers besides the 50. Yesterday it was official, I'm on the lay-off list. My principal had lots of great things to say about me but it goes by seniority and my first two and half years don't count since I wasn't under regular contract. I've been tossing and turning all night thinking about the pros and cons. I'm hoping if I make a list these thoughts will stop swirling around in my head.
Pros- it's not a financial blow to the family
Cons- less money for extras
Pros- lots more time at home
Cons- more time to eat and shop
Pros- never wanted to work full-time
Cons- I LOVE to teach
Pros- can go back to school for master's
Cons- college costs $$$
Pros- very demanding profession
Pros- very unappreciated profession
Cons- now what will I do with the rest of my life?
Pros- more available to help out mom and dad
Pros- We can take vacations that are not during the busy season (i.e. school breaks)
Cons- Paying for vacations won't be as easy
It looks like the Pros win, so why do I still feel bad? I think I'll go read The Pigeon to cheer myself up.

1 comments:

The Bodily Family said...

If it makes you feel better you can come out here and teach my kids. Arizona ranks 49th in the nation in education.