December 20, 2008

Chapter 1



I think I may just write a book about our vacation adventures. Chapter 1 would be entitled Quick Getaway. Chapter 2, Narrow Escape. Chapter 3, Jackpot. Chapter 4, Danger on the Highway and Chapter 5, Night of Horrors.


And that's just our first day of vacation. I'm being a little dramatic of course, but it's been a very interesting couple days. Thursday the news was saying that a big ice storm was coming with chances of 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice accumulation with freezing rain on top of that. I watched the radar, checked all the weather websites, and suggested we head out of town before it hit. The only glitch would be if the storm didn't come I would have to be to work the next morning. What to do? We threw everything in the car and headed south. We stopped for the night in Anderson where it was warmer and wasn't supposed to get any of the nastiness. Yet, it was close enough to head back in the morning if I needed to.


We plugged in the laptop and carefully watched the storm's approach. At 5:00 a.m. we were getting nervous because school hadn't been cancelled yet and forecasters were saying it would be warm enough to melt the ice by 10:00. 5:08 mom called to say school was cancelled, our gamble paid off. There was a huge cheer and we headed out. It was a slushy rain when we left but the temp was above freezing. We had rain through Nashville and then smooth sailing until...6 miles before we got to Ocala, FL where we planned to stay for the night, our back tire blew out. Luckily we were able to get over to the side of the road and after unloading everything from the back we found the spare and got that on. We slowly drove to the next exit, filled the spare with air and then slowly drove 4 miles down the road to the first hotel. Let's just say I won't be giving a 4 star rating. But we slept well and are now waiting for the tire store to open so we can be on our way to Disney.


More chapters to follow.

2 comments:

Carlene said...

I was wondering when you left. So glad you got our before the storm hit. It was terrible. Our electricity went off about 8am Friday morning and came back on around 1am. Sat. morning. We didnt' have it as bad as some, but bad enough. We spent the day in Fort Wayne shopping just to be someplace warm and then came back home around 7. The power was still of so we headed to Nat and Chad's for the night. It was just a lot of wasted time, but what can ya do. Have a great vacation.

the skeans family blog said...

Sounds like you were off to humbling start. I guess you made it there in Fla... have fun..merry Christmas